Skip to main content

I remember when...

I wanted to spend time remembering things that make me smile today.

Here goes:

I remember when I slept at the Ambrose's house in the room they made just for me. With floral bed covers (Mrs Ambrose gave them to me - they're in my cupboard crying out to be used again but I wanted to save them for a special occasion), wicker furniture and pretty pictures. I love that a family loved me enough to make a room for me.

I remember getting off the plane from Darwin when I first saw Matt after 11 years. That was a HUGE weekend and I went through so much...to come home to my 4 best friends (Sonya, Jess, Caris and Gracie) waiting at the airport 'arrival gates' meant everything to me. I cried at the sight of them. I'd held in tears on the long 5-hour flight home but when I saw my best friends...I knew I could let out the heartache. That's one memory I'm so thankful to God for.

I remember weighing 52 kilos and LOVING getting dressed every morning. To get up, survey my 'tiny' clothes and think "hmm...what shall I wear today?" with a WORLD of options each day...was incredible. 

I remember being so close to God. At the back of my mind, tiny Janet was worrying everyone else would think I was crazy...but I was close enough to God to not care about what 'everyone else' thought. I went through some really tough times and had to make some tough decisions, but I did it all with integrity. I'm actually really proud of myself. Jon's parents were LIVID, my own parents/family abandoned me...and I took it all on the chin, didn't say a single word back and just leaned on God. I look back at the 'me' then and have to shake my head. Outstanding.

I remember laying out at the park on a sunny day with Gracie. A lot of the memories closest to my heart involve my best friends. I'm so thankful.

I remember dating and living life like I was 17 again. What an incredible opportunity and I grabbed it with both hands. I remember Mike's deep kisses, Patrick's warm laugh, the incredibly sexy way Gary looked leaning against a pole at Mandurah train station and the first time Alun held my hand...it was all such a great experience.

I remember getting a High Distinction for my online Uni Course. Oh the PRIDE :) I worked hard and was rewarded handsomely. SO blessed.

I remember going to the Real Estate Company and collecting my first ever keys for the apartment right above Mom's in the city. My FIRST HOME ON MY OWN. I remember going in and sitting on the peach tiles and just singing happily when the apartment was empty because I didn't have any furniture. I didn't care that it was empty...it was beautiful and it was my very own. FAVOURITE memory, right there.

I remember when I first slept over at Alun's. It was a winter's night and my feet were really cold. He tucked himself behind me and rubbed his feet over mine until my feet were warm and comfortable. Now I'm gonna marry him :) How time flies.

I remember going to the movies for the first time in a long time with my family. Mom, Dad and Jay to the right of me. Mom was playing with the buttons on her chair, Dad was eating a cheese plate (why?) and Jay was beside me nudging me and rolling his eyes at our parents. BLISS.

I hope I can write again soon about more recent 'favourite memories'...the ones above seem like they happened a lifetime ago.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I learnt to cook because my Mom left us

My parents have "been together" for 38 years. And I used "been together" very loosely because in all those years, about 28 of them has been incredibly rocky. My parents have screamed, shouted, threatened and hurt each other more than I thought anyone could. They've constantly split up and gotten back together. Every time they split up, we had to move house and I had to ferry my younger brother between two homes and make it seem like an adventure "Yay!Sleepover at Dad's!" so he could live a basically normal life. On one of their MANY break ups, my parents each got a new partner. Mom went out with this Dutch guy and to this day I don't know his name because I called him "Meathead". He was like a well-meaning ogre who rode a motorbike.  Anyway, when Mom starting "seeing" Meathead, she and I got into a huge fight about how she was never home (she wasn't) and Mom decided to leave us altogether. I was in my late teens so Jay w

What I find sexy

Just for a change, I thought I'd tell you all the things about a man I find really, really sexy. These are in no particular order: - When he steers a car with the bottom of the palm of his hand - When a guy behind the steering wheel puts his hand on the back of the passenger seat while he reverses. I don't know...it's like he's putting his arm around you while keeping you safe AND reversing a vehicle. THAT IS HOT. - When a guy puts his hand on the small of my back to guide me. Ooft. - Winking. OMG. I love any wink at all; thoughtful winks, cheeky winks, winks that say "I'm right here - go for it"...I love them. SO HOT. - When a guy is great around children. Oh my word. If a guy is holding a baby with care...and smiles...I think my ovaries explode. - When a guy is fixing something around the house - When a guy is fully concentrating on something he's doing - especially if he's using a tool at the time. OH MY WORD. - I love, love, love

best $270.00 I've ever spent, honestly :)

Now that I've written that, I can remember other things I've loved spending HUGE amounts on: * the first time I got my hair chemically straightened :) * when I bought Jon a "year's pass" to the movies - he loved that gift more than anything else I've ever given him * any time I give Mom 'board money' because she's always so grateful and seeing her smile is a blessing anyway *sigh* back to the point... ...today I'm writing to you from a Travelodge Hotel Room. I know...not the most amazing Hotel - but you wouldnt believe how nice my room is. It's a "deluxe suite" and is big, comfortable, pretty and best of all *big smile* it's airconditioned!!! OH YEAH!!! In this horrid, dry and yet super humid Perth heat...being able to sleep to the hum of a working and LOVELY air conditioner is definitely worth the money I've paid. Here's what lead to this: My anxiety began with coming home to find the carpet pulled up, m