Skip to main content

I remember when...

I wanted to spend time remembering things that make me smile today.

Here goes:

I remember when I slept at the Ambrose's house in the room they made just for me. With floral bed covers (Mrs Ambrose gave them to me - they're in my cupboard crying out to be used again but I wanted to save them for a special occasion), wicker furniture and pretty pictures. I love that a family loved me enough to make a room for me.

I remember getting off the plane from Darwin when I first saw Matt after 11 years. That was a HUGE weekend and I went through so much...to come home to my 4 best friends (Sonya, Jess, Caris and Gracie) waiting at the airport 'arrival gates' meant everything to me. I cried at the sight of them. I'd held in tears on the long 5-hour flight home but when I saw my best friends...I knew I could let out the heartache. That's one memory I'm so thankful to God for.

I remember weighing 52 kilos and LOVING getting dressed every morning. To get up, survey my 'tiny' clothes and think "hmm...what shall I wear today?" with a WORLD of options each day...was incredible. 

I remember being so close to God. At the back of my mind, tiny Janet was worrying everyone else would think I was crazy...but I was close enough to God to not care about what 'everyone else' thought. I went through some really tough times and had to make some tough decisions, but I did it all with integrity. I'm actually really proud of myself. Jon's parents were LIVID, my own parents/family abandoned me...and I took it all on the chin, didn't say a single word back and just leaned on God. I look back at the 'me' then and have to shake my head. Outstanding.

I remember laying out at the park on a sunny day with Gracie. A lot of the memories closest to my heart involve my best friends. I'm so thankful.

I remember dating and living life like I was 17 again. What an incredible opportunity and I grabbed it with both hands. I remember Mike's deep kisses, Patrick's warm laugh, the incredibly sexy way Gary looked leaning against a pole at Mandurah train station and the first time Alun held my hand...it was all such a great experience.

I remember getting a High Distinction for my online Uni Course. Oh the PRIDE :) I worked hard and was rewarded handsomely. SO blessed.

I remember going to the Real Estate Company and collecting my first ever keys for the apartment right above Mom's in the city. My FIRST HOME ON MY OWN. I remember going in and sitting on the peach tiles and just singing happily when the apartment was empty because I didn't have any furniture. I didn't care that it was empty...it was beautiful and it was my very own. FAVOURITE memory, right there.

I remember when I first slept over at Alun's. It was a winter's night and my feet were really cold. He tucked himself behind me and rubbed his feet over mine until my feet were warm and comfortable. Now I'm gonna marry him :) How time flies.

I remember going to the movies for the first time in a long time with my family. Mom, Dad and Jay to the right of me. Mom was playing with the buttons on her chair, Dad was eating a cheese plate (why?) and Jay was beside me nudging me and rolling his eyes at our parents. BLISS.

I hope I can write again soon about more recent 'favourite memories'...the ones above seem like they happened a lifetime ago.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 days

 that's how long it took for my friend...let's call him "Adrian"...to open a letter from me. Adrian's had a rough time of late with 2 of his closest friends dying within months of each other. I wanted to send him some support and encouragement in the post so I picked a card with a load of cartoon acorns on the front. The card read "If I had an acorn for every time I thought of you, other people would say I had too many acorns!" then inside, the card said "And they'd be wrong!" It was so cute, even in the store as I read it, I knew I loved it and wanted to buy it for someone. I wrote about how I'd be there for Adrian any time he needed to talk and that he was loved and not alone. I posted it off with a happy smile and hoped it would bless him. I think it took about a week for the card to reach Adrian...but I didn't hear anything back from him for almost 3 weeks all up...because he was scared to open his card. Adrian's anxiety had...

Closing this blog and starting a new one, guys :)

This site is too old! I'm struggling to use it so I've created a brand new blog on "WordPress". here's the new link: https://wordpress.com/view/janetvdepression.wordpress.com So far, it's just a collection of my favourite blogs from THIS site transferred to it's new home...but from tomorrow onwards, I'll be adding new posts daily I think? Thank you for reading along with me all these years, you mean the world to me. Love you guys xx ps. If the blog link doesn't work, please email me at janethill0505@gmail.com so I don't lose your readership. Big hugs xx

I learnt to cook because my Mom left us

My parents have "been together" for 38 years. And I used "been together" very loosely because in all those years, about 28 of them has been incredibly rocky. My parents have screamed, shouted, threatened and hurt each other more than I thought anyone could. They've constantly split up and gotten back together. Every time they split up, we had to move house and I had to ferry my younger brother between two homes and make it seem like an adventure "Yay!Sleepover at Dad's!" so he could live a basically normal life. On one of their MANY break ups, my parents each got a new partner. Mom went out with this Dutch guy and to this day I don't know his name because I called him "Meathead". He was like a well-meaning ogre who rode a motorbike.  Anyway, when Mom starting "seeing" Meathead, she and I got into a huge fight about how she was never home (she wasn't) and Mom decided to leave us altogether. I was in my late teens so Jay w...