Skip to main content

$2

I was just leaving Coles, wandering why I always leave with so many bags of shopping when all I originally went there for was a carton of milk...

...when a disheveled man approached me.

I could tell right away he was homeless.

"Excuse me, Madam" he began

Madam? how old does he think I am? Surely I don't look like a 'Madam' yet?!?

"Could you spare $2.00? I've uhh...I've not eaten all day"

He didn't look at me as he spoke, his eyes were lowered to the ground.

Filled with compassion, I put my bags down, got out $2 and put it into his grubby palm.

"Thank you" he said simply, nodded, offered a smile...and shuffled off.

I picked up my bags, wondering instantly if I'd done the right thing.

Was this guy really hungry or is he just asking everyone for money so he can get alcohol with it? Was he going to buy drugs? Have I just funded his next 'hit'? (is that what they call it?)

I had to shrug and remind myself - it was only $2.00 - no big deal.

I'm grateful that to me, $2 is easily affordable.

I turned around to witness the homeless man walking into the Coles supermarket. He was holding his $2 protectively in his balled-up fist - as if he was willing to fight anyone who took it from him...as if it were a great prize.

I felt ashamed and now wish I had given him more.

What a blessing to that hungry man if I had given him $10.00 - or $50.00 instead! Can you imagine?

"Here sir, go nuts"

Jesus would have loved that.

If I run into this man again, I'll do better xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10...and then 5 :)

Yeah I can tell Im getting better because even though things are tough right now and Im sad and a bit fed up and weary...I still have hope :) I cant help it, it's who I am. I got an email from "Sandy" today. I really care about her and I look up to her and will probably read her email again when im less tired from a long day and it will make more sense...but for now, what I think she was trying to say to me was to take a bit more ownership of my life and to stop asking God to fix it all...or something like that...and I want you to know, Sandy - Im taking ownership of it and doing it ALL myself...but I believe in God and I believe that he hears me and so Im taking EVERYTHING to Him and just asking for some direction on this. I'll email you personally about about that another day. Thanks for always being there for me. I keep trying and failing and falling, then getting excited about something new and getting back up. Im on a very strange path just now and although...

best $270.00 I've ever spent, honestly :)

Now that I've written that, I can remember other things I've loved spending HUGE amounts on: * the first time I got my hair chemically straightened :) * when I bought Jon a "year's pass" to the movies - he loved that gift more than anything else I've ever given him * any time I give Mom 'board money' because she's always so grateful and seeing her smile is a blessing anyway *sigh* back to the point... ...today I'm writing to you from a Travelodge Hotel Room. I know...not the most amazing Hotel - but you wouldnt believe how nice my room is. It's a "deluxe suite" and is big, comfortable, pretty and best of all *big smile* it's airconditioned!!! OH YEAH!!! In this horrid, dry and yet super humid Perth heat...being able to sleep to the hum of a working and LOVELY air conditioner is definitely worth the money I've paid. Here's what lead to this: My anxiety began with coming home to find the carpet pulled up, m...

the girl in the red shirt

I finished work yesterday evening and caught the free bus into the city, smiling to myself as I pictured Alun's happy face and how great it would feel to hug him and hear about how his day went. I got off at my usual stop and waited with about 35 impatient, tired workers to cross the road into the main Mall. There we were, all in our grey, black or navy-blue business attire. Like a little well-dressed army. I guess that's why she stood out. She was the only one in our weary group who wasn't professionally dressed. She looked to be in her early 20's and was instead wearing jeans and a bright red t-shirt. Her shirt was too big for her, which had the effect of making her look smaller than she was. She was a thin girl, with hair the colour of straw that fell gently down her back in a low ponytail. She had a tan and was wearing black jeans. I noticed a black guitar case slung over her shoulder with bright red, yellow and green stickers on it and wondered if she was a ...