Skip to main content

Phone calls with people I love

Feeling a bit low, I texted Pete "Hey Pete - do you have a few moments for a chat? Can I call you?"

I put my phone in my pocket, got distracted by a gust of wind that mussed up my hair and hinted a cold kiss on my cheeks...and thought nothing more of it.

...Until about an hour later, when my phone rang and Pete's beloved name flashed up on the screen.

Smiling, I swiped across to 'answer' and held the phone to my ear.

Pete's warm voice down the line made me instantly feel comforted.

"How do you manage to you get yourself into such a tangle?" Pete scolded, lovingly.

"Who, me?" I asked, settling back into the sofa and making myself comfortable

"No no - not you, Janet - the dogs. I thought I'd call you while I take the 2 dogs for a walk. They're so little - but they're a handful. They run around in circles - No! Don't eat that grass! Wait! Yuck - let's get that all out of your mouth. Why do you always eat this? Why? I've told you before about this. Great. Now you're licking me. Yuck"

I smiled again, imagining Pete leaning down to wipe stray bits of  grass from a small, excited dog's mouth and pretending to tell it off while his blue eyes twinkled in gentle humour.

"Pete - I'm not happy about this" I pretended to be quite stern, myself

Pete chuckled "You're not the one walking two excited dogs!"

"I wanted your undivided attention" I admitted, I couldn't help but smile again "but now I have to share you with two dogs"

"Haha its okay, kiddo" Pete laughed "You have my attention...No! Leave that stick alone, it's not yours!"

Really?

I rolled my eyes affectionately "Yeah, I can tell you're fully focused on me"

Pete laughed again. Warm and gentle - the laugh of someone who's lived a lifetime of adventures and enjoys walking small dogs around the park. I loved the sound of it.

"So" Pete invited "how's everything going?"

And slowly - with pauses so Pete could unwind the dogs from around several trees and untangle them from bushes - I told Pete what's been on my heart. I told Pete how I worry about the Thomases, how I worry about Alun taking on so many hours when he's not fully recovered, how I worry I'm falling behind at Uni with only 3 weeks left and how I miss being in his and Lyn's company.

"First of all..." began Pete. "Anyone who doesn't absolutely love and adore you when they get to know you - has something seriously wrong with them. So you don't need to worry about the Thomases - if they don't know great quality when it's right in front of them, it's their great loss. Also, Al is a tough nut, he can handle a lot more than even you think he can. He'll be fine - just give him space and be his support when he needs it. You're lucky to have each other"

Oh Pete...

"Secondly - your boss is a nutcase. She knows you're quiet and very sweet so she's targeting you to see how much bullsh*t you'll take. Make your stand - but do it your gentle way - and then leave things be. They'll sort themselves out"

Ok.

"Lastly...I've known you for the last 20 odd years and you've always wanted to graduate Uni. You are doing wonderfully at it and you've stuck it through some very hard things - so hang in there because soon you'll be all done. I want to come to your Graduation, by the way. I need to be there and see your beaming face"

I wouldn't have it otherwise.

"I don't know how many tickets I'll get - how many people I can invite to come with me" I said, hesitantly.

"However many you get, I'll be there. I'm so proud of you, Janet"

Pete's words were like a healing balm on my broken heart.

"You are like a daughter to me and whenever you come to visit us, you're like a breath of fresh air. You're loved, you know that?"

"I love you too, Pete" I said, my heart feeling so full.

"Right, well I'm home now and have two curious faces looking up at me - wondering why we're still outside instead of going straight in. Do you want me to listen a little longer - or should I go?"

"No no - you go in. Lyn will be wondering where you are" I smiled.

I felt so much better.

"Okay. Well - we love you. We're here for you always. Call me anytime you need me, right?" Pete was still checking - making sure I really was okay to go. I love that he always does that.

"I'm going to be fine. I feel so much better just from talking to you" I said.

We hung up and I slept really well for the first night in a long time.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

best $270.00 I've ever spent, honestly :)

Now that I've written that, I can remember other things I've loved spending HUGE amounts on: * the first time I got my hair chemically straightened :) * when I bought Jon a "year's pass" to the movies - he loved that gift more than anything else I've ever given him * any time I give Mom 'board money' because she's always so grateful and seeing her smile is a blessing anyway *sigh* back to the point... ...today I'm writing to you from a Travelodge Hotel Room. I know...not the most amazing Hotel - but you wouldnt believe how nice my room is. It's a "deluxe suite" and is big, comfortable, pretty and best of all *big smile* it's airconditioned!!! OH YEAH!!! In this horrid, dry and yet super humid Perth heat...being able to sleep to the hum of a working and LOVELY air conditioner is definitely worth the money I've paid. Here's what lead to this: My anxiety began with coming home to find the carpet pulled up, m

and then, we move on...

Sometimes moving on can be so hard. I remember last year when I got "released" from hospital. The fear of leaving that safe trauma ward was awful. I hated thinking "oh God...now I'll be on my own and I still cant walk"...but you know what? we move on. We move on from petty fights with friends, from stupid family things, from broken hearts and crap days and we hope for better things. Im blessed because I'm experiencing those 'better things' right now, actually. Think about it, Im at work (so Im thankful for a job), I have the world's most amazing people as my friends (seriously, all my friends are worth their weight in gold) I have a safe home, lots of food and money... and I have an amazing boyfriend. Alun met up with me yesterday at the Royal on a sunny, warm Perth day. He had something in a huge shopping bag and held it out to me with an excited grin "OMG Janet - open it, you're gonna LOVE it!" and the smile on his face r

10...and then 5 :)

Yeah I can tell Im getting better because even though things are tough right now and Im sad and a bit fed up and weary...I still have hope :) I cant help it, it's who I am. I got an email from "Sandy" today. I really care about her and I look up to her and will probably read her email again when im less tired from a long day and it will make more sense...but for now, what I think she was trying to say to me was to take a bit more ownership of my life and to stop asking God to fix it all...or something like that...and I want you to know, Sandy - Im taking ownership of it and doing it ALL myself...but I believe in God and I believe that he hears me and so Im taking EVERYTHING to Him and just asking for some direction on this. I'll email you personally about about that another day. Thanks for always being there for me. I keep trying and failing and falling, then getting excited about something new and getting back up. Im on a very strange path just now and although