Skip to main content

sore thumb

Something about being in Coles supermarket sets my bum off.

I don't know what it is.

Probably because my ass hates me and wants to poo when I'm the furtherest away from a working toilet possible.

This time, a toilet was only about 500 meters away. Lucky me.

So I was in Coles with an armful of lovely junk food when my stomach rumbled and I knew - as we all do - that I had about 2 minutes to find a toilet.

That 2 minutes was going by entirely too fast for my liking.

I didn't bother paying for my groceries - that's how much of a hurry I was in to get to a toilet. I just put them on a random shelf and I RAN for the nearest toilet.

"Closed for cleaning" read the sign on the Ladies' toilets.

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?

Now, I was DESPERATE.

I was in a public shopping mall, far from home and not willing to explode in my pants. There would be nowhere to shower and get clean so I'd have to figure this one out. FAST.

I shuffled uncomfortably up to the next set of toilets in the mall, alternating my prayers between "Please. PLEASE don't let me poo myself now" and "please let the next loos be open and not full. No line, please God. Please"

Ah! Success! No sign on the door and a free cubicle when I got there. YES!!!

Frantic, I slammed the door once I got in. I hurriedly hung my handbag on the hook and was in SUCH A MAD HURRY to get my pants down that when I pulled on my jeans, I DISLOCATED MY LEFT THUMB.

AAAAAARGHHHHHH!!!

THE PAIN!!!

But there was no time for even that.

Just no time.

Pants off, do the deed...that's all I had time for.

AFTERWARDS, though...my thumb was throbbing with pain.

It had slid back into place on it's own (Thank you, Jesus) but it hurt terribly - as if I had broken it.

IT HURT SO MUCH.

When a part of your body hurts, it suddenly becomes the only part of your body you're aware of.

My left thumb was so painful to move, I cradled it carefully with my other hand for days afterwards. I used it gently, so carefully and if I caught it on a door handle, on a button or knob (shut up, Marc) or just accidentally brushed it against something - OH MY GOD THE PAIN. It was like breaking it. It was awful.

That's how I think I am emotionally right now - in a fragile state.

Normally, I wouldn't even THINK about my thumbs. They're there. I use 'em. Great.

But when my thumb was injured, it took up a lot of my thoughts "Be careful" "take pain killers" "hold it close to my body so it doesn't catch on anything"

And that's how I was emotionally. Normally I'm fairly happy. Fairly tough. Pretty resiliant and a good, kind, positive person.

Now, I'm dislocated. I'm hurt, confused, angry and tired. I'm not myself.

I have to be extremely careful with my heart and soul. Extremely protective with my time.

It hurt me to talk to anyone - whether they were a beloved friend, my parents or even a guy on the street. ANY contact with ANYONE felt like having my heart bruised and bent. Twisted and hurt all over again.

So I uninstalled Facebook. I shut down a lot of social media. I tried my best to cancel plans and just come away from the world and just be alone, safe and healing at home where I feel the most comfortable.

I've been so blessed by friends who understand. Christabel has been especially thoughtful and kind, messaging "You don't have to text back". Other friends have texted "Hey, love you" or "Thinking of you xx" and that's helped me so much because I don't need to 'bend my heart to breaking point' to respond. Even if a friend says "Hey" and I need to respond "Hey" back, it HURTS terribly to do so. My friend Cat sends me pictures of things she's coloured in and it's really sweet. But texting back "oh that's lovely" feels like someone bending my thumb backwards. I don't know why. It is just so hard to engage with anyone right now.

I'm angry. I'm irritable. I don't sleep because I stay up every night worrying about EVERYTHING there could possibly be to worry about.

I'm so tired and so fed up you guys.

I thought I would be ready to jump back into work and 'being a grown ass person' again this week after my lovely 4 days off last week but it's all too much.

I have a psychiatrist (so not George) appointment in an hour.

Wish me luck.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I learnt to cook because my Mom left us

My parents have "been together" for 38 years. And I used "been together" very loosely because in all those years, about 28 of them has been incredibly rocky. My parents have screamed, shouted, threatened and hurt each other more than I thought anyone could. They've constantly split up and gotten back together. Every time they split up, we had to move house and I had to ferry my younger brother between two homes and make it seem like an adventure "Yay!Sleepover at Dad's!" so he could live a basically normal life. On one of their MANY break ups, my parents each got a new partner. Mom went out with this Dutch guy and to this day I don't know his name because I called him "Meathead". He was like a well-meaning ogre who rode a motorbike.  Anyway, when Mom starting "seeing" Meathead, she and I got into a huge fight about how she was never home (she wasn't) and Mom decided to leave us altogether. I was in my late teens so Jay w

What I find sexy

Just for a change, I thought I'd tell you all the things about a man I find really, really sexy. These are in no particular order: - When he steers a car with the bottom of the palm of his hand - When a guy behind the steering wheel puts his hand on the back of the passenger seat while he reverses. I don't know...it's like he's putting his arm around you while keeping you safe AND reversing a vehicle. THAT IS HOT. - When a guy puts his hand on the small of my back to guide me. Ooft. - Winking. OMG. I love any wink at all; thoughtful winks, cheeky winks, winks that say "I'm right here - go for it"...I love them. SO HOT. - When a guy is great around children. Oh my word. If a guy is holding a baby with care...and smiles...I think my ovaries explode. - When a guy is fixing something around the house - When a guy is fully concentrating on something he's doing - especially if he's using a tool at the time. OH MY WORD. - I love, love, love

best $270.00 I've ever spent, honestly :)

Now that I've written that, I can remember other things I've loved spending HUGE amounts on: * the first time I got my hair chemically straightened :) * when I bought Jon a "year's pass" to the movies - he loved that gift more than anything else I've ever given him * any time I give Mom 'board money' because she's always so grateful and seeing her smile is a blessing anyway *sigh* back to the point... ...today I'm writing to you from a Travelodge Hotel Room. I know...not the most amazing Hotel - but you wouldnt believe how nice my room is. It's a "deluxe suite" and is big, comfortable, pretty and best of all *big smile* it's airconditioned!!! OH YEAH!!! In this horrid, dry and yet super humid Perth heat...being able to sleep to the hum of a working and LOVELY air conditioner is definitely worth the money I've paid. Here's what lead to this: My anxiety began with coming home to find the carpet pulled up, m