Skip to main content

For Christabel

Hello there, Darling.

You and I probably contact each other even more than Alun and I do, but I still wanted to write a blog today, just for you. This is my way of 'speaking to you in love' the way you always do for me.

Are you ready?

I know you've read a load of books and probably talked to a load of people to get wisdom and advice on your break up but I thought I'd add my "5 steps to get through a breakup" to get you through until you can see light again at the end of the tunnel. This is from my personal experience and I hope it blesses you. That's the plan, anyway.

1. You're grieving, so you'll go through stages of wanting X back, hating X with the passion of a 1000 suns, being angry and wanting to shout at him, being sad because all the happy memories will hurt...and so on. Grief isn't linear so you don't pass all 7 stages of grief one by one, come to the end, cross the finish line and you're done - no. You'll bounce back and forth between 'bargaining" (If I only did "xyz" then we wouldn't have broken up/if I could only...then I'd get him back" and anger (How f*cking dare you, man?!?) to sadness (I really, really, really, really, REALLY miss you, I want you back so badly).

This is normal. Completely normal. You are not going nuts, you are hurting.

So step 1 is to just accept what is.

It is what it is.

You're okay to hurt, nothing you could have done differently would change what IS right now so try to (as "George" would say) "hold that feeling, accept it, look at it, acknowledge it and learn day by day to be okay with it".

I'm so sorry this is breaking your heart and I promise I'm hurting right alongside you.

2. Be gentle with yourself.

Please be kind to yourself. Drink lots of water (God knows you'll need it from dehydrating from all the crying). Eat foods that are good for you. Eat some that aren't. Watch movies you love, listen to music you love, be around people that you love - as much as possible. Or not. Whatever makes you most comfortable - do that. Do the things you love to do. Read books (I know you love reading, Bella), talk on the phone to people who make you laugh despite that lump in your throat. Go on long walks, take long, luxurious baths, light candles, drive Nick crazy...whatever you want to do, do that.

3. DO NOT PHONE HIM.

I know. You just want to hear his voice again. I know. I know how badly you miss him and how much that X-shaped hole in your heart longs to be filled again (shut up, Marc), but don't do it because I guarantee (from a LIFETIME of experience) it will only make things worse. So much worse. If you're really struggling, set up a 'phone buddy' that you can call instead of calling him.

4. Cry as MUCH as you want to.

Don't let ANYONE tell you "Get over it, already" because there are only TWO people in the whole world that know what went on in your relationship - you and X. That's all. Because of that, no one else will know how you feel, how badly you're hurting or how much time it will take to be able to think of X without crying. That is up to you so don't let anyone else put a timeline on your sadness. As we are getting in the habit of saying to each other now - YOU DO YOU, Christabel. You do you. If you want to cry about it for a year, then you do that. Obviously I hate to see you so sad and I hope and pray that this sadness will pass quickly, but only you can know when you'll be ready to smile again. So take that time and learn to be okay with it. Learn to TAKE TIME as YOU need it and you recover at YOUR PACE, darling.

5. Talk about it.

I know. I complain about how many people's advice you seek out but I'm learning that's just you doing you, and I need to be more compassionate about that. I would rather you talk to 100 people than to keep that pain secretly inside yourself where it eats away at you and can destroy you. If you feel like it's getting out of control (the sadness of the break up), then I encourage you to see your GP and get some professional help as well as surround yourself with help and good listeners in the form of your friends.

You have so many people who love you. Gather them around you and talk as much as you want about what you're going through because it will help to get it off your chest.

Okay.

That's my big 5.

I'll probably text you on the way home, as well.

Sigh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

best $270.00 I've ever spent, honestly :)

Now that I've written that, I can remember other things I've loved spending HUGE amounts on: * the first time I got my hair chemically straightened :) * when I bought Jon a "year's pass" to the movies - he loved that gift more than anything else I've ever given him * any time I give Mom 'board money' because she's always so grateful and seeing her smile is a blessing anyway *sigh* back to the point... ...today I'm writing to you from a Travelodge Hotel Room. I know...not the most amazing Hotel - but you wouldnt believe how nice my room is. It's a "deluxe suite" and is big, comfortable, pretty and best of all *big smile* it's airconditioned!!! OH YEAH!!! In this horrid, dry and yet super humid Perth heat...being able to sleep to the hum of a working and LOVELY air conditioner is definitely worth the money I've paid. Here's what lead to this: My anxiety began with coming home to find the carpet pulled up, m

and then, we move on...

Sometimes moving on can be so hard. I remember last year when I got "released" from hospital. The fear of leaving that safe trauma ward was awful. I hated thinking "oh God...now I'll be on my own and I still cant walk"...but you know what? we move on. We move on from petty fights with friends, from stupid family things, from broken hearts and crap days and we hope for better things. Im blessed because I'm experiencing those 'better things' right now, actually. Think about it, Im at work (so Im thankful for a job), I have the world's most amazing people as my friends (seriously, all my friends are worth their weight in gold) I have a safe home, lots of food and money... and I have an amazing boyfriend. Alun met up with me yesterday at the Royal on a sunny, warm Perth day. He had something in a huge shopping bag and held it out to me with an excited grin "OMG Janet - open it, you're gonna LOVE it!" and the smile on his face r

10...and then 5 :)

Yeah I can tell Im getting better because even though things are tough right now and Im sad and a bit fed up and weary...I still have hope :) I cant help it, it's who I am. I got an email from "Sandy" today. I really care about her and I look up to her and will probably read her email again when im less tired from a long day and it will make more sense...but for now, what I think she was trying to say to me was to take a bit more ownership of my life and to stop asking God to fix it all...or something like that...and I want you to know, Sandy - Im taking ownership of it and doing it ALL myself...but I believe in God and I believe that he hears me and so Im taking EVERYTHING to Him and just asking for some direction on this. I'll email you personally about about that another day. Thanks for always being there for me. I keep trying and failing and falling, then getting excited about something new and getting back up. Im on a very strange path just now and although