Skip to main content

3 weeks post operation

I wanted to write tonight's blog on my hysterectomy recovery as I've been looking online about it to see if I'm normal or alone in what I'm going through and although there are quite a few 'vlogs' on girls after their hysterectomies - they were recorded sometimes as much as 10 years ago and there is nothing recent.

I want to try to change that.

For me, it was a really blessed operation. It was meant to be laparoscopic (key-hole surgery that isn't as evasive and people recover from it a lot faster as there is a lot less injury) but because I had such big fibroids (non-cancerous growths) in my uterus as well, I guess Dr Penis (haha) decided to go "full abdominal" which meant cutting open my stomach from one hip right across to the other. A 'c section', basically - but sideways along my lower abdomen rather than vertically up my stomach. For that I'm very thankful.

Alun checked over my wound as they were changing the dressing on it the day after surgery and said he was impressed with how neat and tiny the actual cut is. It is along the same line as the top of my undies, so when I wear bathers/bikini (?) underwear, it fully hides the incision and no one would know any differently.

I had a few questions before/after the surgery that I can now answer as I'm finishing up week 3 of recovery.

Will it hurt immediately after?
Yes. It will. The good thing is, Doctors know that so they pump you full of anaesthesia medication before and during the operation so that you only feel the minimal amount of pain when you come out of theatre. It won't be excruciating pain (it wasn't for me) but it will be painful and something you can manage with great pain meds - all of which will be offered constantly while you're a patient in hospital.

What happens when I wake up?
When I woke up from surgery, Nurses were tucking warm blankets around me and telling me about the hand controls they were placing within my reach: "This is your call bell, press it if you need a Nurse at any time and this is your pain medicine - just press the button whenever you feel pain and it will be administered to you immediately" and they placed the controls in my hands. I was pretty out of it that first night so I don't think I pressed on the 'pain button' much.

What WILL it feel like right after surgery?
You'll feel very sore indeed and very sluggish because of all the medication you're on. Sleep as much as you can and just try to embrace it. I tried to fight it. I don't like being drowsy and 'out of control'. I like to be awake and aware as much as possible. Especially as I was in an unfamiliar place to be in and I felt especially far from Alun which made me really anxious. If I could go back and do it all over, I would just sleep. I don't need to be in control, it's okay to let go as I was in great care. I had Nurses checking on me constantly and I was hooked up to many a machine that were monitoring me so I didn't need to worry that I needed to be 'awake' for anything.

God willing, you'll have knowledgable medical staff looking after you who will explain that you:

NEED TO REST
Shouldn't lift/carry anything
No bending down
No reaching up
Drink lots of water
Expect lots of constipation as a result of the medications you're on - so take a few stool softeners every day - it's important
Peeing on the first day/first few days is going to sting/burn. It is awful but it will pass and it will get easier to pee as you heal.

What does recovery involve?
This question is a big one for me because although there's a lot of information about hysterectomies, there isn't much out about what happens AFTER the operation. I want to be able to answer that for anyone in future who wants to know.

IT IS HARD BECAUSE YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING.

Seriously.

I found even just showering really tough. It is hard to stand AND wash yourself because you use up a lot more of your body's energy than you expect to. If you can, organise a 'shower chair' to take home with you so that you can SIT in the stream of water. Trust me, it will help you a lot.

Your first - or first few - weeks will involve A LOT of sleeping. Sleeping during the day and all through the night. Don't be surprised to be asleep more than 12-15 hours every 24 hours.

NORMAL THINGS WILL BECOME VERY DIFFICULT.
You won't be able to move as you used to. Not by a long shot.

Get help with:
Getting to and from the bathroom
Getting anywhere around the house, actually
Getting dressed
Don't expect to be able to put your own shoes/socks on for a good few weeks

I noticed the first few days of recovery that my stomach was HUGE. It had swelled tremendously and I felt really stressed about it, wondering what on earth was going on as I couldn't see my feet any more. I have since read on the internet that it's called "swelly belly" (haha) and is the result of surgery as the stomach has had a lot of trauma and swells up. Right up. Like a huge balloon.

I still even now - ending my 3rd week of recovery - can't walk anywhere or move without holding my stomach. Holding it close to myself takes a lot of the pressure and pain away of any movement from my injury so I recommend doing the same.

It's week 3 (almost week 4) for me, so now I can sit cross-legged and sleep on my side. I sleep on my side normally so having to sleep flat on my back has been really tough as I've felt really uncomfortable and it's made my back ache.

That's another thing - your back will probably ache A LOT. I know mine does. It feels sore and bruised and hurts sometimes more than my stomach does. That's been surprising to me. Alun puts these lovely little heat patches on my back which help a lot. Praise God.

The Surgeon left my ovaries in so that I don't have to take any hormone replacement drugs as they will still operate. This has left me an EMOTIONAL WRECK since the operation, which I also wasn't expecting. My mood swings often from really sad to just fed up/angry and I'm trying to deal with it through EATING. Which is not good.

If you can, try to eat things filled with nutrients. If you just CAN NOT (like me), then you do you, girl. Eat what makes you happy because you can lose weight and go on a diet when you feel stronger and have more energy.

Lastly, IT'S OKAY TO ASK FOR HELP.

I really, REALLY struggle with this as it turns out, I'm a lot more independent than I thought. I have to ask Alun to help with my shoes/socks. I've had to ask friends to make cups of tea when they come over as I can't lift anything. I've had to ask my parents to cook meals so that when Alun comes home from a long shift at work, he doesn't then have to cook as well.

It's hard on my pride as I want to be able to do everything I did before the surgery but it's been really humbling and a blessing to see just how much everyone wants to help.

My parents LOVE being helpful and I think my Dad especially likes being needed. I think I call him DAILY (I've never done this before in my life) and we chat and Dad always offers to "come over" or now that I'm better - to pay for my Uber over to his and Mom's so that he can be with me and help with anything. Mom is LOVING cooking for Alun and I and responds to my requests for my favourite Filipino meals with a delighted chuckle. Friends love coming to visit and love caring for me.

"Sit there, I'll make tea" they all offer, even without me saying anything.

"Is there anything I can do for you?" Friends ask.

And when I swallow my pride and ask...they are pleased to be needed.

Let others be there for you because it makes them so happy.

So yeah, REST. Don't feel guilty about it.

I'll update you again soon xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

best $270.00 I've ever spent, honestly :)

Now that I've written that, I can remember other things I've loved spending HUGE amounts on: * the first time I got my hair chemically straightened :) * when I bought Jon a "year's pass" to the movies - he loved that gift more than anything else I've ever given him * any time I give Mom 'board money' because she's always so grateful and seeing her smile is a blessing anyway *sigh* back to the point... ...today I'm writing to you from a Travelodge Hotel Room. I know...not the most amazing Hotel - but you wouldnt believe how nice my room is. It's a "deluxe suite" and is big, comfortable, pretty and best of all *big smile* it's airconditioned!!! OH YEAH!!! In this horrid, dry and yet super humid Perth heat...being able to sleep to the hum of a working and LOVELY air conditioner is definitely worth the money I've paid. Here's what lead to this: My anxiety began with coming home to find the carpet pulled up, m

and then, we move on...

Sometimes moving on can be so hard. I remember last year when I got "released" from hospital. The fear of leaving that safe trauma ward was awful. I hated thinking "oh God...now I'll be on my own and I still cant walk"...but you know what? we move on. We move on from petty fights with friends, from stupid family things, from broken hearts and crap days and we hope for better things. Im blessed because I'm experiencing those 'better things' right now, actually. Think about it, Im at work (so Im thankful for a job), I have the world's most amazing people as my friends (seriously, all my friends are worth their weight in gold) I have a safe home, lots of food and money... and I have an amazing boyfriend. Alun met up with me yesterday at the Royal on a sunny, warm Perth day. He had something in a huge shopping bag and held it out to me with an excited grin "OMG Janet - open it, you're gonna LOVE it!" and the smile on his face r

10...and then 5 :)

Yeah I can tell Im getting better because even though things are tough right now and Im sad and a bit fed up and weary...I still have hope :) I cant help it, it's who I am. I got an email from "Sandy" today. I really care about her and I look up to her and will probably read her email again when im less tired from a long day and it will make more sense...but for now, what I think she was trying to say to me was to take a bit more ownership of my life and to stop asking God to fix it all...or something like that...and I want you to know, Sandy - Im taking ownership of it and doing it ALL myself...but I believe in God and I believe that he hears me and so Im taking EVERYTHING to Him and just asking for some direction on this. I'll email you personally about about that another day. Thanks for always being there for me. I keep trying and failing and falling, then getting excited about something new and getting back up. Im on a very strange path just now and although