Skip to main content

Am I a psychopath, too?

Yep, I'm really worried.

I've been reading a book "The Perfect Girlfriend" about a really crazy lady who is obsessed with marrying a guy she used to date. She is completely psycho.

My concern is how much I identify with her.

I don't understand when she's "over the top" (she steals things, copies people's house keys and stays in their homes when they're away...she obsesses about a man she's not even sure she likes and she is obsessed with living the life of a girl who bullied her in highschool - I don't get why she would want to be in that girl's life - I'd want to be as far away/as different from her as possible) but I understand and can relate to other things. For instance:

The character in the book is very passionate. She gets angry easily. She is very emotional. She sees things in 'black and white" as in, she either loves a person with all her heart - or she straight up hates them. People are friends - or enemies. She doesn't see an 'in between'. Tick from me. I'm the same.

The character, "Juliette" is surprisingly empathetic towards others. It is weird though how she can relate to some people really well but then have absolutely no clue about others - like, she feels empathy towards a little girl travelling on a plane alone and wants to care for her (she's an Air Hostess) especially on the journey and in another part of the book, she strongly identifies with a woman on the plane who is wanting a man's attention and the man just reads his paper and ignores her - so the air hostess gives the woman special attention and is especially nice to her....but then for most of the book, she wants to 'force' a certain guy to marry her and 'force' his sister to befriend her when they've both been very clear at the beginning they didn't want anything to do with her.  I can relate to Juliette being protective of others. I kind of like that I have a heart for others and if I see them going through a hard time, I want to 'especially care for them', too. Another tick of alike-ness. Oh dear.

Juliette is also a pretty strong grudge-holder. She feels unfairly treated and seeks vengence. She seeks it over a span of 10 years because she's that stubborn and angry about what happened to her. She can't seem to let go - to just move on. I relate to that. I wish to God I didn't, but I hold grudges too and when situations hurt me and make me feel unfairly treated, I get pretty angry about it and also can't seem to move on from them - not quickly, anyway. That's where the difference ends, though - because I don't want revenge or to hurt them back, I just want to fix things.

Juliette does things that boggle my mind - like see people as objects. She sees people around her as either gains or losses. Friends are 'beneficial' and 'could come in handy later' I don't get that. She spends her life obsessed with forcing people to like her and forcing relationships. Juliette wants to know Nate's every move, every thought, every plan. She wants to be with him 24/7 and basically control him. I don't understand that. I like my own space too much. Juliette struggles with her break up with Nate and wants to force him to marry her and be with her forever. I'm of the mind that once a relationship is over, then it hurts like a bastard, but yeah - it's over. You can't force someone to love you again like they used to. The best you can hope for is that you'll become friends and keep them in your life but even then, you can't force the situation.

But then,  I think back on my life and I remember went through something similar to Juliette's obsession with Nate - in my own life with Matt. He broke up with me and I lost my mind. I called him thousands of times, I sent him thousands of letters. I couldn't let go. I couldn't move on. I had to have him and sometimes I wasn't even sure why anymore - it was compulsive and addictive and so weird. I wanted him to love me again and I was prepared to do anything to make it happen. I know I'm not like that anymore, but oh my word - I used to be. I read the lengths this woman went through to get "Nate" back and I nod to myself, thinking "yeah, I totally get that".

This scares me!

Juliette also writes about going over every detail of her interaction with Nate - every word, every nuance, every sound and smell - going over and over it in her mind and rejoicing over all the little things. She goes over every text message from Nate "what did he mean when he said this?" "is this a hopeful thing?" "Is this good?" "I wonder if he meant..." and so on. She finds a way to rationalise in my mind what's happening and a way to tailor it so that it suits what she wants. She fantasises about her future with Nate. I do that, too. 

Arrrghhhhhhh!

Should I be concerned about this? I'm hoping for another appointment with "George" my psychologist and hopefully we two can hash this out together. It would be good to get his take on this. I'm hoping he puts me at ease and tells me I'm not a psycho. That would be awesome.

God alone knows what I'll do if he actually tells me I'm a worry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

and then, we move on...

Sometimes moving on can be so hard. I remember last year when I got "released" from hospital. The fear of leaving that safe trauma ward was awful. I hated thinking "oh God...now I'll be on my own and I still cant walk"...but you know what? we move on. We move on from petty fights with friends, from stupid family things, from broken hearts and crap days and we hope for better things. Im blessed because I'm experiencing those 'better things' right now, actually. Think about it, Im at work (so Im thankful for a job), I have the world's most amazing people as my friends (seriously, all my friends are worth their weight in gold) I have a safe home, lots of food and money... and I have an amazing boyfriend. Alun met up with me yesterday at the Royal on a sunny, warm Perth day. He had something in a huge shopping bag and held it out to me with an excited grin "OMG Janet - open it, you're gonna LOVE it!" and the smile on his face r

best $270.00 I've ever spent, honestly :)

Now that I've written that, I can remember other things I've loved spending HUGE amounts on: * the first time I got my hair chemically straightened :) * when I bought Jon a "year's pass" to the movies - he loved that gift more than anything else I've ever given him * any time I give Mom 'board money' because she's always so grateful and seeing her smile is a blessing anyway *sigh* back to the point... ...today I'm writing to you from a Travelodge Hotel Room. I know...not the most amazing Hotel - but you wouldnt believe how nice my room is. It's a "deluxe suite" and is big, comfortable, pretty and best of all *big smile* it's airconditioned!!! OH YEAH!!! In this horrid, dry and yet super humid Perth heat...being able to sleep to the hum of a working and LOVELY air conditioner is definitely worth the money I've paid. Here's what lead to this: My anxiety began with coming home to find the carpet pulled up, m

10...and then 5 :)

Yeah I can tell Im getting better because even though things are tough right now and Im sad and a bit fed up and weary...I still have hope :) I cant help it, it's who I am. I got an email from "Sandy" today. I really care about her and I look up to her and will probably read her email again when im less tired from a long day and it will make more sense...but for now, what I think she was trying to say to me was to take a bit more ownership of my life and to stop asking God to fix it all...or something like that...and I want you to know, Sandy - Im taking ownership of it and doing it ALL myself...but I believe in God and I believe that he hears me and so Im taking EVERYTHING to Him and just asking for some direction on this. I'll email you personally about about that another day. Thanks for always being there for me. I keep trying and failing and falling, then getting excited about something new and getting back up. Im on a very strange path just now and although