Skip to main content

Bigger waves

I don't remember how old I was - maybe 13? My family and I were in America and I think we were in Florida. There was a huge pool and Jay and I were splashing about in it, having fun. Suddenly, these alarms started going off and people in the pool were cheering.


"What's going on?" I asked a nearby swimmer.


"Waves" He grinned back at me "The alarm is to let you know they'll start the wave machine so if you're not a strong swimmer or have a floating device, you'd best get out"


Pfft.


Even at that age, I was too cocky for my own good.


Waves.


It'll be fun.


I thought instantly of going to the beach in Gove - about 20 minutes walk from my home. My friends and I would go after school (yes, we really did just go to the BEACH after class) and we'd 'wave jump' for hours. We'd wade into the sea until we were about waist-deep in the water and as waves would come, they would lift us from the sand below and them dump us back again after they passed.


So fun.


This will be just like that.


But it SO WAS NOT.


No.


These waves, created by some machine from hell made waves that were about 5-8 meters high. I was already in deep water where I couldn't touch the bottom so when a wave lifted me even higher and dumped me - it was ABJECT TERROR that this whole experience filled me with.


I was being bounced around - mostly under water where I couldn't breathe - and off people's floaty boats, unicorns, pool noodles, etc.


I struggled immediately.


This is it, JD. This is how you die. In a family leisure centre in the states.


After what was probably about 5-10 minutes (I'm telling you, it felt like I was going to die - it felt like the waves had been getting bigger and stronger and more terrifying and it felt like I had been fighting for my life for about 3 hours), I couldn't help it - I grabbed onto the edge of someone's little inflatable donut thingy they were sat in. The girl/guy who was it it was not pleased and frowned at me.


"I'm sorry" I sputtered "I'm not good at this"


They must have taken pity on me and let me hold on and the next 10 minutes were A LOT better.


Then the waves stopped and WISER people than me got back IN to the pool for leisurely swimming.


I got out and I didn't get back into a pool - ANY POOL - for a good few months afterwards.


That's how much nearly drowning affected me.


What I wanted to compare it with today is depression.


Except depression's warnings are so slight and so subtle that you don't know to get out of the pool and before you know it - you're drowning.


My 'warnings':
I become obsessed with a holiday
I think 24/7 about 'having a rest'
I lose interest in things that I really love
I don't sleep
I eat too much, seeking comfort in the fried/fatty things of this world


Then the waves come and I'm unprepared.


These are my 'waves' right now:


I'm stressed and unhappy at work
The 'girl gang' at my work on the Admin team are not nice to me and that is increasing my anxiety greatly
I'm still very unwell - so physically I'm struggling
While all this is going on - ALUN'S PARENTS ARRIVED YESTERDAY and will be living with us for the next 3-4 weeks.
I am expecting horrific ladypains in about 2 weeks. Maybe less.


So if you love me - even a little bit - I beg of you, please shoot me in the face.


I can't cope with what's in my life right now because to me, I'm 13 years old again, trying to survive in a pool that's trying to kill me.


I can't work these long hours when I'm unwell and I can't even go home to rest after a long day of work because Alun's parents will be there - judging me. Waiting for me to mess up so they can pounce "A-HA!"


I just want to get out of the pool.


Please.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

best $270.00 I've ever spent, honestly :)

Now that I've written that, I can remember other things I've loved spending HUGE amounts on: * the first time I got my hair chemically straightened :) * when I bought Jon a "year's pass" to the movies - he loved that gift more than anything else I've ever given him * any time I give Mom 'board money' because she's always so grateful and seeing her smile is a blessing anyway *sigh* back to the point... ...today I'm writing to you from a Travelodge Hotel Room. I know...not the most amazing Hotel - but you wouldnt believe how nice my room is. It's a "deluxe suite" and is big, comfortable, pretty and best of all *big smile* it's airconditioned!!! OH YEAH!!! In this horrid, dry and yet super humid Perth heat...being able to sleep to the hum of a working and LOVELY air conditioner is definitely worth the money I've paid. Here's what lead to this: My anxiety began with coming home to find the carpet pulled up, m

and then, we move on...

Sometimes moving on can be so hard. I remember last year when I got "released" from hospital. The fear of leaving that safe trauma ward was awful. I hated thinking "oh God...now I'll be on my own and I still cant walk"...but you know what? we move on. We move on from petty fights with friends, from stupid family things, from broken hearts and crap days and we hope for better things. Im blessed because I'm experiencing those 'better things' right now, actually. Think about it, Im at work (so Im thankful for a job), I have the world's most amazing people as my friends (seriously, all my friends are worth their weight in gold) I have a safe home, lots of food and money... and I have an amazing boyfriend. Alun met up with me yesterday at the Royal on a sunny, warm Perth day. He had something in a huge shopping bag and held it out to me with an excited grin "OMG Janet - open it, you're gonna LOVE it!" and the smile on his face r

10...and then 5 :)

Yeah I can tell Im getting better because even though things are tough right now and Im sad and a bit fed up and weary...I still have hope :) I cant help it, it's who I am. I got an email from "Sandy" today. I really care about her and I look up to her and will probably read her email again when im less tired from a long day and it will make more sense...but for now, what I think she was trying to say to me was to take a bit more ownership of my life and to stop asking God to fix it all...or something like that...and I want you to know, Sandy - Im taking ownership of it and doing it ALL myself...but I believe in God and I believe that he hears me and so Im taking EVERYTHING to Him and just asking for some direction on this. I'll email you personally about about that another day. Thanks for always being there for me. I keep trying and failing and falling, then getting excited about something new and getting back up. Im on a very strange path just now and although