Skip to main content

One day

That's all I had to get my sh*t together.


Literally yesterday.


On Monday, I fell completely apart. I was so tired and so burnt out from these long hours and busy weekends that I lost my mind.


I texted Alun "I'm going to kill myself because it means I can have a nice long sleep and NO ONE will judge me for it"


Alun texted back instantly "I'm at work so I can't call you. Please don't hurt yourself. I love you"


I texted again - shaking so badly because I was so fed up with the world "I don't care if you get angry, I just want to die. I've had enough"


Work demands were flying at me at a million miles an hour on reception so I carried on with them - and in what seemed like mere minutes, Alun was stepping out of the lift and into the reception area where I work.


At the time, I was bent over, head on my desk just crying.


"Oh Gorg"


I looked up and was so happy to see his gorgeous face.


I had so much going on at work that I couldn't just run away with Alun, as much as I wanted to. We instead went for a walk around the block. A lady at my work who is really lovely sat at reception for me "Take as much time as you need".


But I don't have as much time as I need.


Because I need about a month of rest, I think. At least. Bare minimum.


Alun walked me back to work "I will pick you up at 4:30pm" he said, hugging me tight.


"But don't you have to go back to work, too?" I asked.


"I showed my boss your text messages and she sent me home immediately and told me to take as much time off as I need"


Oh no.


Now his boss knows I'm a nutter, too.


Great.


So I worked until the end of the day, juggling sometimes 5 duties at once and wondering when it would all stop - convinced with every fibre of my being that it wouldn't stop. The only way to get some rest is to get hit by a bus so that I can lay down and noone will judge me.


Because people understand broken bones.


If a bus hit me, everyone would understand. Everyone would be kind. Everyone would say "you poor thing, take as much time as you need".


But if I said I'm drowning in depression and didn't even realise until my lungs were already filled with water and I was too far from the surface to make it - everyone would just laugh.


"Toughen up"
"Cheer up"
"You'll be okay"
"Stop stressing"
"Get some exercise"
"People have it a lot worse than you - you have a roof over your head, food in your tummy and a great job, you're living a really blessed life"


But I can't breathe! I can't go on. I can't live like this - running and running and running and not stopping.


What's worse is - everyone else gets to stop.

So I feel like the world is against me. Like there are different rules for everyone else.


Alun for instance - hasn't worked more than 2 or 3 days in the entire week since Christmas.


The girls on my 'team' at work have all had between 2-6 weeks off over Christmas/new years. I have said "Have a great trip!" to each and everyone one of them and looked enviously at their holiday photos on their return.


Oh how I would love a rest of my own.


I have been the only person I know in my circle of friends and family (even my parents have had 2 holidays since Christmas!) that hasn't had a break.


And it's gotten to me.


So much so, I'm obsessed with dying.


Because you get to LAY DOWN in a little wooden box, don't you? Even when they incinerate you, you get to LAY THE FUCK DOWN.


I am so frantic and so lost in my own head...and SO FREAKING TIRED, you guys.


I just want a rest.


So yesterday, Alun urged me to call in sick "Take a day off, Gorg - you need it"


I need more than a day, Gorg - but at this rate, I'll take what I can get.


So I slept for most of the day yesterday. I got up, had some toast - and went back to bed.


I pulled the doona cover over my head and cried and cried.


I cried myself to sleep, woke, ate and went back to bed again, this time only getting up as I heard Alun's car pull into the driveway.


And what kills me is this next part:


Alun hugged me tight as he came into the house "All better?"


WHAT!?!


I TOLD YOU I WANT TO DIE AND ONE DAY IS ALL IT TAKES FOR THAT TO GO AWAY, IS IT?


I looked up at Alun's worn face and heavy eyes. I could tell my husband had had a really, really hard day.


His eyes had so much hope in them that I just couldn't let him down.


"Sure" I answered, flashing a bright smile.


Janet. You are a fraud.


"Brilliant" Alun's tired face lit up "I'm so glad. Phew. I've had a really rough day today - Cronk was being an idiot again. He said..."


and Alun's voice trailed off down the hallway as my heart broke.


Because I'm not better.


Not even close.


In fact, I've started hoarding sleeping tablets in a little box. When I have enough of them, I'm quitting this stupid life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

best $270.00 I've ever spent, honestly :)

Now that I've written that, I can remember other things I've loved spending HUGE amounts on: * the first time I got my hair chemically straightened :) * when I bought Jon a "year's pass" to the movies - he loved that gift more than anything else I've ever given him * any time I give Mom 'board money' because she's always so grateful and seeing her smile is a blessing anyway *sigh* back to the point... ...today I'm writing to you from a Travelodge Hotel Room. I know...not the most amazing Hotel - but you wouldnt believe how nice my room is. It's a "deluxe suite" and is big, comfortable, pretty and best of all *big smile* it's airconditioned!!! OH YEAH!!! In this horrid, dry and yet super humid Perth heat...being able to sleep to the hum of a working and LOVELY air conditioner is definitely worth the money I've paid. Here's what lead to this: My anxiety began with coming home to find the carpet pulled up, m

and then, we move on...

Sometimes moving on can be so hard. I remember last year when I got "released" from hospital. The fear of leaving that safe trauma ward was awful. I hated thinking "oh God...now I'll be on my own and I still cant walk"...but you know what? we move on. We move on from petty fights with friends, from stupid family things, from broken hearts and crap days and we hope for better things. Im blessed because I'm experiencing those 'better things' right now, actually. Think about it, Im at work (so Im thankful for a job), I have the world's most amazing people as my friends (seriously, all my friends are worth their weight in gold) I have a safe home, lots of food and money... and I have an amazing boyfriend. Alun met up with me yesterday at the Royal on a sunny, warm Perth day. He had something in a huge shopping bag and held it out to me with an excited grin "OMG Janet - open it, you're gonna LOVE it!" and the smile on his face r

10...and then 5 :)

Yeah I can tell Im getting better because even though things are tough right now and Im sad and a bit fed up and weary...I still have hope :) I cant help it, it's who I am. I got an email from "Sandy" today. I really care about her and I look up to her and will probably read her email again when im less tired from a long day and it will make more sense...but for now, what I think she was trying to say to me was to take a bit more ownership of my life and to stop asking God to fix it all...or something like that...and I want you to know, Sandy - Im taking ownership of it and doing it ALL myself...but I believe in God and I believe that he hears me and so Im taking EVERYTHING to Him and just asking for some direction on this. I'll email you personally about about that another day. Thanks for always being there for me. I keep trying and failing and falling, then getting excited about something new and getting back up. Im on a very strange path just now and although