Skip to main content

Saving lives and making beds

So I decided to end my own life.

I'd need to:
tidy the house
pack my pills and a large bottle of water
go to the beach so Alun doesn't come home to a dead body
Deactivate my Facebook as I won't be using it any more, will I?

I didn't fancy tidying the house.

For some insane reason - the important thing here - was to deactivate my Facebook.

What was I thinking? Was I thinking at all? What is wrong with me???

Even so, I opened my laptop and started to message people I love most that I was deactivating my Facebook and that they could reach me on my mobile or through email.

Please, please call me - please tell me I matter to you - this was my silent prayer as I sent out the most casual "I'm fine - just taking a break from Facebook" messages.

OH the lies I am trapped in.

Why do I lie?!?

Why can't I just ask for help!?!?

WHY!?!

My 4th friend - and I was selecting people at random who had messaged me on the Facebook messenger app - was my friend "Toby" (name changed to protect him).

Toby lives in Melbourne and we've never actually met. We met online through the very dating site I met Alun on. We talked on Skype a few times (Before I met Alun) to 'feel each other out' I guess. We decided we'd both stick to being friends - the distance wasn't going to work for us as a romantic couple. So over the last 6 years, we've become good friends to each other. We don't talk often, just a "hello there" now and again - so when I messaged Toby, I honestly thought nothing more of it.

But he did.

Somehow, he knew something was amiss. Instead of messaging or emailing - he RANG IMMEDIATELY.

"Dude - what's going on? You love Facebook. Something is very wrong"

Wow.

How did he know?

I burst into tears. I was both relieved and frightened. relieved to have someone who cared - who wanted to call me and find out if I was okay - and scared because now it was real. I was going to kill myself and now I had to tell someone about it. I couldn't hide my grief when he could clearly hear it on the phone.

"I can't go on" I sobbed

Toby's breathing was instantly fast and ragged "Wait. what? OMG Janet. OMG...please, please don't. Please stay with me, here, mate - please don't"

Tears ran down my face and my heart broke anew at how much I'd wanted this to be Gracie's words.

Then broke again at how much Toby cared when we barely spoke.

"I can't do this, Toby" I wailed - feeling as if my life was leaving me through the painful ache in my lungs, my bones, my heart, my soul - my being.

Then Toby - someone I've never met in person - saved my life.

He talked to me. Gently. Urgently. Lovingly. Kindly. Powerfully.

I can't even remember what he said, but I know it grounded me somehow. His words, the cadence of his voice and his ragged, panicked breathing that let me know he really, REALLY cared - kept me still in the frightening fight for my life.

In the raging storm of depression, guilt, self hatred and grief - I clung to the sound of Toby's voice like a life raft.

"Hey listen" Toby said after a few hours of talking together had passed; "I'm going to put in earphones so we can keep talking while I uhh...clean my house, is that ok? The line will go a bit bumpy while I plug them in, but I'm still here. Don't YOU go anywhere ok? It'll just take a second"

I couldn't believe it - but a giggle escaped from me.

"You're cleaning your home?" I asked.

Again - a giggle. OMG what was I doing?!?

Stop giggling, JD. you're depressed, you idiot.

Toby's chuckle was like warm honey on my soul "yeah - gotta get this house tidy...it's a wreck"

We both laughed.

"I'll save your life AND make my bed!" Toby's smile reached through the miles between us and embraced me in a warm hug.

I didn't know what to do with this swing of emotions. Kill myself - but wait to do it until Toby's sheets were folded???

What on earth?

The absurdity of the situation made ME smile.

What was going on?

Depression hit hard and flew at me so fast, I almost had to sit down for fear of falling over.

KEEP YOUR MIND SET ON KILLING YOURSELF. It reminded me.

It doesn't matter about Toby's messy house Anxiety screamed Get out of this painful life - take all the tablets you've saved. Do it. DO IT NOW.

Right.

I cleared my throat.

No more giggling, JD.

"Toby - you're busy...I'll hang up"

Toby instantly panicked. "What? No!!! No way. I planned to stay on the phone with you until Alun gets home to you"

Then, Toby said something I will NEVER forget. For as long as I live. He said:

"Even if Alun has just started his shift - I WILL stay on the phone with you for EIGHT HOURS just to keep you alive until he can take over"

Oh my word.

Wow.

My heart - my heart sang.

"You would do that...for me?" I asked. Fresh tears came. Tears of gratitude and wonder at the kindness of this guy I've never met.

I could almost hear his good-natured shrug "Of course! That's what friends do, Janet"

That's what friends do.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

best $270.00 I've ever spent, honestly :)

Now that I've written that, I can remember other things I've loved spending HUGE amounts on: * the first time I got my hair chemically straightened :) * when I bought Jon a "year's pass" to the movies - he loved that gift more than anything else I've ever given him * any time I give Mom 'board money' because she's always so grateful and seeing her smile is a blessing anyway *sigh* back to the point... ...today I'm writing to you from a Travelodge Hotel Room. I know...not the most amazing Hotel - but you wouldnt believe how nice my room is. It's a "deluxe suite" and is big, comfortable, pretty and best of all *big smile* it's airconditioned!!! OH YEAH!!! In this horrid, dry and yet super humid Perth heat...being able to sleep to the hum of a working and LOVELY air conditioner is definitely worth the money I've paid. Here's what lead to this: My anxiety began with coming home to find the carpet pulled up, m

and then, we move on...

Sometimes moving on can be so hard. I remember last year when I got "released" from hospital. The fear of leaving that safe trauma ward was awful. I hated thinking "oh God...now I'll be on my own and I still cant walk"...but you know what? we move on. We move on from petty fights with friends, from stupid family things, from broken hearts and crap days and we hope for better things. Im blessed because I'm experiencing those 'better things' right now, actually. Think about it, Im at work (so Im thankful for a job), I have the world's most amazing people as my friends (seriously, all my friends are worth their weight in gold) I have a safe home, lots of food and money... and I have an amazing boyfriend. Alun met up with me yesterday at the Royal on a sunny, warm Perth day. He had something in a huge shopping bag and held it out to me with an excited grin "OMG Janet - open it, you're gonna LOVE it!" and the smile on his face r

10...and then 5 :)

Yeah I can tell Im getting better because even though things are tough right now and Im sad and a bit fed up and weary...I still have hope :) I cant help it, it's who I am. I got an email from "Sandy" today. I really care about her and I look up to her and will probably read her email again when im less tired from a long day and it will make more sense...but for now, what I think she was trying to say to me was to take a bit more ownership of my life and to stop asking God to fix it all...or something like that...and I want you to know, Sandy - Im taking ownership of it and doing it ALL myself...but I believe in God and I believe that he hears me and so Im taking EVERYTHING to Him and just asking for some direction on this. I'll email you personally about about that another day. Thanks for always being there for me. I keep trying and failing and falling, then getting excited about something new and getting back up. Im on a very strange path just now and although